Take a trip through early 1800s on the annual 2017 Spring “Tour of Homes” in Historcal Washington, Saturday April 1, 2017.
Tour Headquarters: First Baptist Church
Tickets available day of Tour; all major credit / debit cards accepted
April 1, 2017
10 am- 5 pm
- Private vintage auto collection
- Artist Market on the Square
- Admission to Washington-Wilkes Historical Museum, Robert Toombs House, and Callaway Plantation is available for an additional $10 fee at Tour HQ
- Historic North Alexander School (c.1897), open 10am-5pm
- Visit many of our local Churches, the historic Mary Willis Library, and the renovated c.1898 Fitzpatrick Hotel during the Tour.
- Lunch at the Washington Woman’s Club, 108 N. Alexander Ave, 11am-1pm, ($12/person, tickets available at check-in or at the door).
Chantilly at BrookHill c.1825
“Brookhill”, located on the Sharon Road south of town. The original structure – a typical “two-over-two” plainstyle house – was built around 1820, and first occupied by the family of planter James Rembert DuBose. By the 1850s, a number of additions and improvements were made, including the impressive Doric portico. The house – which was briefly occupied by Federal forces at the end of the Civil War – remained in the DuBose family until 1875. By the 1950s, it was in need of restoration, and the house was expanded to its current size within a decade.
Also referred to as “Chantilly”
With stately elegance, “Chantilly” stands majestically atop its small knoll just at the outskirts of Historic Washington, Georgia as if a reflection of the ever changing times and lives that have crossed her threshold… YET there is a strong CONSTANT here, a lifestyle thread that goes deep and is rooted and woven into the fiber of this graciously Southern antebellum home, situated on 20 beautiful, gentle rolling acres , surrounded by other large acreage holdings, of which additional acres may be possibly added to increase this true Southern Estate, with its numerous outbuildings, nostalgic barns, Carriage House style garage and complete with an 1800’s cemetery across the field with wonderful wrought iron fencing.
“Chantilly”, so named for the famous mineral springs that once were nearby down Spring Street has been home to many a prominent Georgian, one of the earliest being James Rembert DuBose, a member of the Georgia State Agricultural Society in the years after the Civil War . It was DuBose that assembled the Chantilly Estate in the 1820’s through the 1850’s and made most of the alterations to the original two-over-two Plantation Plainstyle house all prior to 1850 which included a monumental portico supported by four large Doric fluted columns. Under the portico is Wide flush siding.
In 1875 the heirs of James DuBose transferred the land to Charles E. Wingfield and in 1892 the property was deeded by Wingfield’s widow to perhaps the most prominent of its previous owners, Frank Willis Barnett, a progressive farmer, producing four times the usual yield of cotton per acre, employing new farming techniques and specializing in breeding animals of all kinds.
It is in the farm ledger of Mr. Barnett that he had handwritten in the early 1900’s a quote from a prominent French Quaker missionary which sums up the attitude and beliefs of many of those that lived their lives here and are still deep rooted at this place:
” I shall pass through this world but once. Any good thing therefore, that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now! Let me not defer it or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again.”
Yes, the old South of slow days, ladies in hoop skirts gossiping on the porches and gentlemen smoking their cigars in the library while livestock graze in the lower fields and the wind whispers through the tall pines…lingers HERE still amid the magic of its tranquil and beautiful grounds of towering, sweet smelling magnolias, Camilla, pecan trees and grand ol’ shady oaks….
Boasting over 5,000 square feet the elegant simplicity of the home is omni present. Its floor plan flows with a rhythm all its own through center halls and cross halls, up and down steps and staircases on to porches and balconies that embrace, intertwine and with doors flung wide, open the inside to God’s grand out of doors.
Flanking the center entry hall is a formal parlor and formal library with the front floor to ceiling windows being triple hung (6/6/6). The center hall empties into the unique and interesting cross hall and directly through thick paneled walls into the formal dining room. At each end of the cross hall are doors with transoms and sidelights leading to porches with the cross hall also housing the beautiful staircase. Additionally on the main level is a bedroom, bath, the kitchen with fireplace and the old built in “pie”safe cabinets, an addition adjoining the kitchen has large room for keeping room, breakfast room or den along with large laundry room and a absolutely gorgeous “early” room with a wall of windows for superb views of the magnificent grounds and wide horizonal pine board walls showing traces of the original white wash patina.
Upstairs are 5 bedrooms (3 large & 2 smaller) each with grand views of the grounds. There are two full baths on this level. Most all the rooms in the home have lovely mantled fireplaces, tall elegant mantles in the formal rooms and wide heart of pine mantles in the kitchen. Beautiful wood floors throughout. All modern amenities including central heating and air. Circular paved drive, grounds with abundance of period plantings, flowers & shrubs—- Haven for animals including deer, turkey, birds…all area natural wildlife feel at home here and are seen often.
IRVIN HOUSE c.1840
Irvin House, on West Robert Toombs Avenue. Although the actual construction date of the house is unclear, the first occupant was Mrs. Mary Joyner Screven Robert around 1840. The name derives from I.T. Irvin, who purchased the house in 1913 and whose family were the last permanent residents, until earlier this decade. The house has undergone a number of additions and renovations; it once had a double porch across the front, but was remodeled in the Classical Revival style (columns and upper level porch) just prior to the Irvin purchase.
Washington Women’s Club (Lunch)
- This stately and imposing edifice stands on Lot 24 of the original town of Washington, laid off in 1780. The framing of the house is the original framing of those early days, and the hand-wrought, square-headed nails hammered out from an iron rod by the village blacksmith are clearly visible in the beautiful heart pine flooring of wide boards just inside the wide front door.
- The house originally faced Robert Toombs Avenue and was begun by Jonathan Webster. He sold it to Absolem Jackson but somehow the title reverted to the Town Commissioners who sold it in 1797 to John Griffin, one of the most distinguished lawyers in Georgia at that time. He was a son-in-law of Colonel Micajah Williamson and Sarah Gilliam Williamson who came into the Ceded Lands prior to 1770. Micajah Williamson was one of the commissioners appointed by the Georgia Legislature to lay out the town.
- The Ball family took over the house of John Griffin and then Ann Anthony lived there, according to Eliza Bowen in her history of Wilkes County. Later the Ellington family occupied the house.
- When the Woman’s Club was organized in 1909, the dream of a clubhouse began but it was not until 20 years later that the women had the money to purchase the lot on which the club now stands. In 1929 the house was moved to its present location. Since that time the women have been working continuously to improve house and grounds and to keep the premises in good condition for the many civic functions which take place there.
Haygralin Home c.1832
“Haygralin” Built in 1832 by Gilbert Hay for his daughter, Mary Ann, the home has been remodeled and expanded over the years. The older front portion retains many original features, including wide pine board floors and baseboards, and original board ceilings upstairs.
On display is original c.1901 original Wilkes county Map & c.1889 Hart County Map, among others.
Hodgson-Ebert/Gunter Home c.1796
1796 by Benjamin Branham, this house was originally located at the intersection of Jefferson Street and (now) Robert Toombs Avenue. It was moved to its present location two blocks south on Water Street in the early 1800s. The house was owned by just two families until the mid-1960s. This view shows the “ell” on the Water Street side, added once the house was moved to its present location.
Shelverton – Allen house c.1886
Shelverton -Allen house, this cottage on South Alexander Avenue was built in 1886 by Walter E. Shelverton, a Washington merchant. It was later occupied by his daughter Kate and her husband Dr. Guy Allen, a pharmacist. Bought by Tom & Gail Duggan in 1987, it features a recent custom-designed kitchen renovation. On display will be Tom’s collection of several hundred early-1900s straight sided soda bottles, many from local bottling works.
Marcus-Hoge-Peddar Home c.1840s
The home at 415 South Alexander began as a small cottage probably in the 1840s/50s and was expanded over the ensuing century. The earliest name associated with it was that of M. Marcus, a Jewish merchant who likely moved inland from Charleston shortly after 1850. He was a member of the local militia, the Wilkes Volunteers and a partner in the Marcus & Hamilton dry goods store on the Square. Marcus moved to Kentucky prior to 1870, and is thought to be the father of Jacob Marcus of Kentucky, whose children Herbert Marcus and Carrie Marcus Neiman founded Neiman-Marcus in 1907. The home was eventually occupied by the James W. Chapman family (for whom Chapman Street was named). Chapman – the premier local newspaperman for over 30 years – became editor of the Washington Gazette in 1878, and later editor of the Washington Chronicle.
Graciously Southern, the Marcus – Hoge – Peddar Home located in the Historic District of charming Washington, Georgia is within walking distance of the Town Square, Museums, Shops, Restaurants and the state’s first public Library; All interesting and intriguing to history buffs as well as those who simply enjoy the beauty of the small town atmosphere, where one can stroll streets lined with beautiful homes of soaring columns and quaint cottages or relax on spacious porches and verandas consumed with familiar comforting garden aromas of camellias and magnolia blossoms.
As the story is told, this wonderful home once belonged to the Marcus family who operated a General Mercantile in the then booming downtown Washington, Georgia and whose descendants later ventured on to Texas to become the well known Neiman Marcus stores.
The home now stands proud with tall square columns on a gorgeous,near two acre corner lot (1.84 Acres). It boast approximately 3,584 square feet with fireplaces in most every room, center hall up and down, ANTIQUE PERIOD light fixtures, unique sconces and glistening crystals of chandeliers fill the home with a warm glowing ambiance.
There are double parlors on each side of the entry foyer as one enters the home. Fabulous formal dining room, cozy den and luxurious Master Bedroom and Bath on the main level. There are three (3) additional BEDROOMS, each with full baths on the second floor and each with a distinct flair showcasing architectural features of this magnificent home.
Total of 4 Bedrooms, 4 Full Baths and each bedroom with cedar closets. Wonderful windows bring the out of doors in and provide views of the spacious grounds from every room in the home!
The home has been meticulously and lovingly renovated by the current owners and features antique light fixtures, unique sconces and glistening crystals of chandeliers filling the home with a warm glowing ambiance.
Horton Loft c.1891
One of the most unusual stops on this year’s Spring Festival and Tour of Homes is the Horton Loft on Robert Toombs Avenue. The ground floor of the building is “Bee Southern”, a boutique featuring quality Southern home goods, men’s & women’s apparel and jewelry, along with wedding and baby registry products. The 1891 building – originally a wooden structure that faced the south end of the Square – was restored in brick after an 1898 fire by owner Anson King. In the ’30s, the Blackmon family took over the business, which they operated into the 1990s. The loft – featuring 14 ft. ceilings – is 3,000 sq. ft of living space with private entrances, with a large 1500 sq ft deck on the rear of the apartment. It has the best view of the courthouse and newly-renovated Square across the street.
ORIGINAL and Authentic Beautiful Exposed brick walls, leaded glass windows, glistening heart-of-pine floors, transoms above doorways, high ceilings, gorgeous wood moldings, columned mantles…
Towering arched doorways gracefully connect the three front very distinguished living areas… Gourmet Kitchen, Lavish Formal Dining and plush Parlor. Custom designed wood reed ceiling from recycled wainscoting of this c.1898 Historic treasure is but one of the highlights of gracious kitchen with GRANITE counter tops, Top of the line stainless appliances (6 burner gas range, double ovens), tile back splash and cozy cafe style breakfast area by large windows..
Recessed lighting, elegant chandeliers and dazzling light fixtures create a soothing, mesmerizing atmosphere with a bit of romantic eloquence.
Other highlights of this spacious just under 3000 sf luxury downtown Loft Apartment include professionally customized wall and ceiling treatments (faux suede), three lovely mantled fireplaces with coal (gas) inserts achieving a warmth and glow as would have burning coals in the 1800’s, custom draperies from windows that overlook THE BEST VIEW Of the Historic TOWN SQUARE (Center Square,Facing the clock tower of the newly renovated Court House), and a 1500 sf rear deck for entertaining which overlooks historic roof tops, Antebellums and the distant architectural dome of the Historic Mary Willis Library.
Mary Willis Library c.1888
(Old Female Seminary)
built by widely-acclaimed architect R.H. Hunt.
Washington-Wilkes Historical Museum
The car museum will be open for Tour participants on Saturday, April 1, 2017. Meet in front of the Court House for a ride,open from
Any of the Tour Car drivers will take you to the museum and pick you up! What a deal. In fact the drivers will take you anywhere in town!